API returning observation date/time & data up to 30 minutes behind?

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
I've been noticing the past few days that my data pulled from the weatherunderground api hasn't been updating every 10 minutes like it had been... my script is running every 10 minutes still... I have data files & log files that show the data being returned... but it appears that in random cases (like a few every hour) the data being returned is identical to a previous pull including the date & time... when in fact it should have incremented by 10 minutes each time.

If I run the api call manually the first run showed  the right time, then I kept running it manually every 5 minutes or so... at 1:08pm, the time showing is:   
"observation_time":"Last Updated on September 22, 12:43 PM CDT"  
Yet, my weatherstation is showing reporting data as of 1:07pm...  I have no idea what is going on...

Has anyone else notice this?  Or have any ideas why I'd not be getting the most recent data?
Photo of Colleen

Colleen

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

  • 2
Photo of Tom Garwin

Tom Garwin

  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes I have the same problem.  PWS data is current on the WU website, so it is updating currently, but appears at random times and delays from the API.    I have been in touch with tech support and they promise to look into this and fix in it though it may take some time. 
(Edited)
Photo of Colleen

Colleen

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, I got a response as well saying it might be a cache issue on their end.. that they'd look into it & fix it, but no eta...
Photo of arduino1231

arduino1231

  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same problem....
Photo of Tom Garwin

Tom Garwin

  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I tried adding a "no-cache" parameter but it didn't help.  I think its a problem of propagation of the new info among the various servers that respond to the API calls. I do think they will be able to find and fix this within a finite period of time.   It worked fine until 2 weeks ago.
Photo of Colleen

Colleen

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes... I can trace it back to a couple of off points on September 7th... then it started to get noticeably worse on Sept 9th and just went down hill from there now that I've traced it back...
Photo of Tom Garwin

Tom Garwin

  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I tried adding a "no-cache" parameter but it didn't help.  I think perhaps it's a problem of propagation of the new info among the various servers that respond to the API calls. I do think they will be able to find and fix this within a finite period of time.   It worked fine until 2 weeks ago.
Photo of Tom Garwin

Tom Garwin

  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Seems to be working now, at least for my query. 
Photo of Colleen

Colleen

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just checked, my last bad data point seems to have been at 8p last night.  I'll keep an eye for a bit to be sure... but I agree, it looks to be working now..
Photo of Brendan Hayes

Brendan Hayes, Official Rep

  • 962 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
This should be better now.  We updated out caching
Photo of Colleen

Colleen

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yea, it appears to be alright now... I've been watching it for the past couple days... Someone from tech support emailed me... :)  Thank you!